Thursday, December 11, 2008

A sad tale of MobileMe and the iPhone

I lost all my contacts information on my iPhone recently. Sad tale this is.

I signed up with MobileMe when it first came out. My iPhone was then setup to sync contact and other info with MobileMe via their "Push" mechanism. It worked worderfully for a while, and I should have gone into MobileMe and exported everything every once in a while.

This last week the free account that I had with MobileMe ended, and I decided I did not want to pay for the service. So, I logged in, and canceled my account. Nothing seemed to be affected on my phone.

This morning I tried to make a call from one of my "Favorites", and found that my "Favorites" list only had phone numbers, with no names attached. I opened my "Contacts", and.... well, like they say, the rest is history. I tried to restory from a previous full system backup, but it didn't help any. I'm guessing that the backup only stored the fact that my contacts where up in MobileMe.

Lesson: ALWAYS backup your data somewhere where _YOU_ have full access to it. I guess this goes for the stuff that I have with google too. I'm going to have to find a way to back my email, calendar, docs, etc., to a location where it cannot be beyond my reach. Sad.

I emailed a bunch of people today asking for their bits, and have gotten a ton of them back. Now I have my contact data backed up to 3 different locations: iPhone backup, windows address book, plain text vCard data.

No comments: