Thursday, March 12, 2009

Solutions, not features

Just heard this quote in a video, and I could not agree with it more:

Implement solutions, not features.

I've turned into a firm believer that it is not what you choose to implements that sets you apart, but rather what you choose NOT to implement. As a developer, I don't have a hard time coming up with yet more things I could add to something. Yes, I could make that thing do x, y, z, AND even talk to me while it is doing it!

The other urge that as a developer I have to fight against is the adding of candy, which can be considered a feature, for no other reason than adding candy. Oh... can't I use that new water drop effect when opening a window? Come on... that's what would make my solution "cool", right? If a given candy is not making something easier to use, then IMHO, it has the same value as blinking text did not so long ago. It ends up accomplishing one thing: annoy the end user.

No comments: